How to draft clear, concise and persuasive texts
***This course is delivered remotely in smaller half-day segments and has a temporary three-day duration.***
This course is designed for employees at various levels of the organization, intermediate and experienced writers who produce analytical, problem-solving texts aimed at decision makers, or substantive reports. Also, managers who edit the work of their team will gain practical techniques to present persuasive messages to achieve desired results.
This two-day workshop will enhance your skills to get results by making a logical case and meeting the information needs of management. You will learn how to build your analytical argument with a reader-focus to support your strategic recommendations. The techniques apply to a wide range of on-the-job texts, such as emails, reports, policy analysis, and briefing notes. With its focus on broader writing techniques, this session compliments the one-day workshop on Writing Strategic Briefing Notes.
- Assessing the reader’s needs in relation to your message
- Drafting concise, relevant emails and short reports
- Applying plain language techniques for clarity and readability
- Structuring longer texts to support your bottom-line and focus on results
- Creating a summary that reflects the key content of a longer text
- Editing tips to improve the logic, flow and coherence of ideas
- Giving constructive feedback on the written work of others
During her 30-year career in the federal government’s security and intelligence sector, Martha Connolley completed a wide range of analysis, policy and senior management assignments in seven federal departments and agencies. Through her career, Martha provided extensive training in French and English, and has taught hundreds of participants on Treasury Board’s Management Accountability Framework and the practical implementation of values and ethics in the public service.
Martha is committed to meeting participants’ needs, and is available for advice and mentoring after they leave the workshop.