IT Professionals, IT Operational Staff, Business Managers, and Business Process Owners.
The candidate must hold (photocopy required) one of the following:
- v3 ITIL® Foundation Certificate
- v2 ITIL® Foundation Certificate and the v2-v3 Foundation Bridge Certificate
The candidate should have some experience working within a Service Management capacity as well as defined experience in at least one of the OSA processes. It is strongly recommended that the candidate read the ITIL Service Lifecycle core publications, specifically the Service Operation volume, prior to attending.
The 5-day Operational Support & Analysis (OSA) course provides you with an intense and focused exploration of the new and modified topics in ITIL v3. The course is intended for those who work within a Service Operation environment and require a deeper understanding of the concepts, processes/functions and activities involved. These concepts are shown in the context in which they may be used to enhance overall service quality, service provision and contribute to the organization’s ongoing service improvement program.
The main focus of this course is on the operational-level process activities and supporting methods and approaches to executing these processes in a practical, hands-on learning environment. This course has a number of study units with practical application to reinforce the knowledge gained. These include:
- The Service Lifecycle and Service Management as a practice: Understand the Service Lifecycle and the objectives and business value for each phase in the lifecycle; understand and articulate service" and be able to explain the concept of Service Management as a practice
- Basic Operational Support & Analysis Principles: Understand the common principles and guidelines, grounded in the Service Operation phase, that will influence the performance of the OSA processes and functions
- Operational Support & Analysis Processes: Understand and articulate the activities of the OSA processes as well as the operational activities shared across the lifecycle. Other areas of discussion include information management requirements, challenges, critical success factors and risks within each of the processes. The processes include:
- Event Management
- Incident Management
- Request Fulfillment
- Problem Management
- Access Management
Note: in-depth discussions around the managerial/supervisory aspects of each process is found in the Service Operation course.
- Operational Support & Analysis Functions: Understand the role, objectives and activities for all the ITIL® v3 functions. The functions include:
- Service Desk
- Technical Management
- IT Operations Management (IT Operations Control, Facilities Management)
- Application Management
- Explore Technology and Implementation Consideration: Understand the role of technology in support of the OSA processes/functions and explore concepts that have great impact on their implementation
This course immerses learners in the practical aspects of the ITIL® v3 Service Lifecycle and the processes and functions associated with the Operational Support and Analysis of services and service delivery. This training is intended to enable the holders of the certificate to apply the practices in resolution and support of the Service Management Lifecycle. This course not only explores the OSA processes but also the role of the common operational activities, and links their tasks/outcomes/supporting roles directly into the ITSM processes. Keeping the lifecycle theme, the relationships to the other phases and the criticality of communication between the phases is detailed and emphasized.
The emphasis of this course is on the process/function activities, their measurement, the interrelationships, and roles and responsibilities; in-depth discussion of management/control activities occur in the SO course. There is significant overlap between OSA and SO — though all courses will 'count' toward the ITIL® Expert, it is NOT recommended that both courses are applied to the required number of electives.