CIOs, CTOs, Managers, Supervisory Staff, Team Leaders, Designers, Architects, Planners, IT Consultants, IT Audit Managers and IT Security Managers.
The candidate must hold (photocopy required) one of the following:
- v3 ITIL® Foundation Certificate
- v2 ITIL® Foundation Certificate and the v2-v3 Foundation Bridge Certificate
It is also strongly recommended that the candidate have 2-4 years of professional experience within Service Management as well as defined experience in at least one of the SO processes/functions. Reading the ITIL® Service Lifecycle core publications, specifically the Service Operation volume, prior to attending is quite beneficial.
The 3-day Service Operation (SO) course provides you with an intense and focused exploration of the new and modified topics in ITIL® v3. The course is intended for those who work within a Service Operation environment and require a deeper understanding of the underlying concepts, processes/functions and activities involved and management responsibilities and how they may be used to enhance overall service quality and service provision.
The Service Operation course focuses on the managerial and control aspects of the operational environment. This course has a number of study units and supporting exercises that reinforce the knowledge gained.
- The Service Lifecycle and Service Management as a Practice: Understand the Service Lifecycle and the objectives and business value for each phase in the lifecycle; understand and articulate service" and be able to explain the concept of Service Management as a practice
- Basic Service Operation Principles: Understand the common principles and guidelines that will influence the performance of SO processes and functions
- Service Operation Processes: Understand the managerial and supervisory aspects of the SO processes as well as the operational activities shared across the lifecycle. Other areas of discussion include the roles and responsibilities, information management requirements, challenges, critical success factors and risks within each of the processes. The processes include:
- Event Management
- Incident Management
- Request Fulfillment
- Problem Management
- Access Management
- Organizing Service Operation: Understand the role, objectives, organizational structures, staffing and metrics for all the ITIL® v3 functions. The functions include:
- Service Desk
- Technical Management
- IT Operations Management (IT Operations Control, Facilities Management)
- Application Management
Note: in-depth discussions around the daily activities of each process/function is found in the Operational Support and Analysis (OSA) course
Within the Service Operation volume, ITIL® is now 'recognizing' the importance and role of the common operational activities and linking the tasks/outcomes/supporting roles directly into the ITSM processes. Additionally, the concept of a service lifecycle is very much ingrained within Service Operation so not only will this phase be explored but also the relationship to the other phases and the criticality of 'cross-communication' between the phases is detailed and emphasized.
The emphasis of this course is on the managerial and supervisory (control) aspects of the activities and techniques within the Service Operation phase; in-depth discussions of process activities occur in the OSA course. There is significant overlap between Service Operation and OSA — though all courses will 'count' toward the ITIL® Expert, it is NOT recommended that both courses are applied to the required number of electives.